- Welland Canal
Click an orange waypoint to see just a few of the 20+ local destinations you can take transit to for a great bike ride. Toronto, Durham, Hamilton, Niagara, Lake Erie, Lake Simcoe. Every bikes and transit connection makes for a great day - that's easy on your budget!
Welcome to 2012! - BikesandTransit.com's fifth Toronto and Ontario Golden Horseshoe cycling season!
May 1, 2012 // Since the inaugural GO-by-Bike to Ajax in 2008, over 20 local inter-modal cycling tourist routes have been tracked and posted on this website - a selection that now stretches east to the shores of Oshawa, northwest to Aberfoyle near Guelph, and south all the way to Port Colborne on Lake Erie (for an amazing bike ride up the Welland Canal to the bus in St. Catharines!) This year BikesandTransit.com sets sights on three more local bikes and transit daytrips:
- During May we'll pick up where we left off last fall, with another look at Hamilton (north, south, east and west) by GO Train, GO Bus, and HSR bus from Old Burlington.
- In June we're promoting the use of bikes and transit to get somewhere - to park your bike! Check back for details on how to enjoy a wonderfully natural day on bike - and on foot - at Burlington's Royal Botanical Gardens. The 'RBG' is just a few pedals from the Aldershot GO Train station - and the route is pretty well all bike lane!
- Then to close out this five-year intermodal project, be sure to read our Bikes and Transit Travel blog, and follow @BikesandTransit on Twitter, for a report on cycling the Friendship Trail and Niagara Region Recreational Trail from Port Colborne to Fort Erie to Niagara Falls - all in one day, with the help of Coach Canada (there) and GO Transit (home).
...Here ...There ...Everywhere!
Bikes and Transit .com
Bikes and Transit .com was made possible through the contributions of intermodal mobility advocate Donald Wiedman, and the project's much appreciated sponsors.
*** Donald Wiedman is also the proud recipient of the 2011 City of Toronto 'Best Overall' Bicycle Friendly Business Award ***
Read all about it - on our BikesandTransit Travel blog!
August 1, 2011 // Welcome adventurers! to the BikesandTransit Travel blog. Over the summer, Donald Wiedman mapped six new routes, and blogged about the rides. The 'new in 2011' routes showcase a great variety of local inter-modal tourism opportunities – from simple, to some, not so simple!
Pleased to Introduce Coach Canada and the Welland Canal!
July 14, 2011 // BikesandTransit.com's sixteenth suggested daytrip is by highway coach and bike - in a bike bag. No worries, it's simple to get a bag and place your bike beneath the bus. Then, in just a few hours from Toronto or Hamilton, you're pedalling to catch (and pass!) giant Laker steamships along the north/south Welland Canal Trail!
Introducing Oshawa, by GO Train and GO Bus!
July 7, 2011 // BikesandTransit.com is please to introduce you to Oshawa! - a great cycling destination, with a little help from transit! This daytrip is a combination of GO Train and GO Bus and bike. Traffic? Nope. In just over an hour from downtown Toronto you'll find yourself - and your bike - in downtown Oshawa, right at the trailhead of the Oshawa Creek Trail south.
Announcing the Hamilton Street Railway Co. (HSR) Pilot Project
June 22, 2011 // Welcome to BikesandTransit.com's second pilot project. Here you will find a selection of Hamilton Street Railway Company bus routes (with bike racks on all buses) from downtown Hamilton to great off road rides along the waterfront, across the Lake, up the escarpment, down the valley, and out into the greenbelt!
BikesandTransit.com has been made possible - for five years now, through encouragement from members of the informal regional Bikes and Transit Partnership:
- GO Transit - Metrolinx, Toronto Transit Commission, Coach Canada, Hamilton Street Railway Co. + Smart Commute Hamilton
- City of Toronto, City of Hamilton, City of Burlington, City of Pickering, Town of Ajax, Town of Whitby, City of Oshawa + Town of Grimsby
- Toronto and Region Conservation, Durham Tourism, Tourism Niagara, Waterfront Regeneration Trust, Trans Canada Trail + Royal Botanical Gardens
And thanks again, to all who tried GO-by-Bike to Ajax! 2008 and BikesandTransit.com 2009, 2010 and 2011 to make for three great seasons of bikes, transit, trails, and the Greater Golden Horseshoe's naturally amazing greenspaces!