Little do people know the TTC Sheppard subway line takes you to one of the greatest bike rides in Toronto. From north of Highway 401, ride the bikeway through East Don Parkland, then south to Edwards Gardens. From there, use the Toronto Cycling Map to guide you down “The Don” all the way to the Lake and the subway (or GO train or bus) at Union Station.
- Exit at the east end of the Sheppard subway station.
- Cross the crosswalk north, on the west side of Leslie and Sheppard – the gateway to the Don River Trail can’t be missed.
- If you don’t want to go north, look for the bikeway down the valley at the south west corner of the intersection.
- At the top of East Don Parkland, turn around, or follow the Toronto Bike Map to Bike Route 51 south – it will take you through some classic Toronto highrise and bungalow neighbourhoods, and near Toronto’s well known “Bridle Path”.
- Food and drink – and a rest – can be had when you reach York Mills Road.
- The route will then take you through an industrial park with some surprisingly significant architecture, past Edward Gardens (find the trail access along the south side of the parking lot), and back down into the Don Valley.
- It’s all downhill from there… literally, as you cycle south to the lakeshore and west downtown. Follow the BikesandTransit maps for a ride through the Distillery District and The Esplanade – or stay on the Waterfront Trail west and come up to Union Station at Yonge St.
Wiedman Communications © 2018