The south side of Hamilton is a great place for inter-modal. Cyclists along the GO lakeshore line are never far from the Niagara Escarpment – thanks to HSR bike racks! One of the newest bike rides around is off the #11 bus from Old Burlington and onto the Red Hill Valley Trail, downtown or ‘around town’ via rail trails and the south greenbelt.
BUS RIDE 10.1: HSR BUS #11 (scroll down) from Old Burlington to Red Hill Trail – 8 kms
With the help of a HSR bike racks, and the Hamilton Bike Map, catch Parkdale Bus #11 from Old Burlington, and cross the Lake up to the trailhead of the Red Hill Trail. Then cycle downtown and southwest to three rail trails: the Escarpment, Chedoke and Chippawa.
Click here to view the Hamilton – South Slideshow.
RIDE 5.0: BURLINGTON GO train station to HAMILTON BEACH, via the Waterfront Trail – 15 kms
At the end of the day the short bike route along Hamilton’s Waterfront Trail to the Burlington GO Station can’t be beat. Hamiltonians: ride your bike to Burlington or Appleby train stations, and take a HSR bus home!
- Start out early enough to make this a great day. At any time it’s easy to cut the suggested routes short by turning around on the trail and heading back to your transit drop off point.
- Hamiltonians, ride your bike to Burlington for dinner and come home by bus and bike rack!
- Escarpment, Chedoke and Chippawa Rail Trails are well signed. Bring a Hamilton Bike Map along nonetheless.
- There is little opportunity to purchase food and refreshments along these routes, so be sure to bring plenty along with you.
- All the trails featured on this page are hardened gravel or asphalt – a semi wide tire at least is recommended.
Read All About It
- Bikes and Transit Travel: Hamilton South
Donald Wiedman © 2018