The south side of Hamilton is a great place for inter-modal. Cyclists along the GO lakeshore line are never far from the Niagara Escarpment – thanks to HSR bike racks! One of the newest bike rides around is off the #11 bus from Old Burlington and onto the Red Hill Valley Trail, downtown or ‘around town’ via rail trails and the south greenbelt.
BUS RIDE 10.1: HSR BUS #11 (scroll down) from Old Burlington to Red Hill Trail – 8 kms
With the help of a HSR bike racks, and the Hamilton Bike Map, catch Parkdale Bus #11 from Old Burlington, and cross the Lake up to the trailhead of the Red Hill Trail. Then cycle downtown and southwest to three rail trails: the Escarpment, Chedoke and Chippawa.
RIDE 10.0: Red Hill Trail to downtown HAMILTON plus Hamilton South to BURLINGTON GO train – 15 kms + 45 kms
Trips can be shortened (turn back to the GO bus in downtown Hamilton) to fulfil any level of expectation. Follow the Hamilton Bike Map at all times. Read Bikes and Transit Travel: Hamilton-South.
Click here to view the Hamilton – South Slideshow.
RIDE 5.0: BURLINGTON GO train station to HAMILTON BEACH, via the Waterfront Trail – 15 kms
At the end of the day the short bike route along Hamilton’s Waterfront Trail to the Burlington GO Station can’t be beat. Hamiltonians: ride your bike to Burlington or Appleby train stations, and take a HSR bus home!
- GO Train to Burlington
- HSR #11 Parkdale / Old Burlington (scroll down)
- Start out early enough to make this a great day. At any time it’s easy to cut the suggested routes short by turning around on the trail and heading back to your transit drop off point.
- Hamiltonians, ride your bike to Burlington for dinner and come home by bus and bike rack!
- Escarpment, Chedoke and Chippawa Rail Trails are well signed. Bring a Hamilton Bike Map along nonetheless.
- There is little opportunity to purchase food and refreshments along these routes, so be sure to bring plenty along with you.
- All the trails featured on this page are hardened gravel or asphalt – a semi wide tire at least is recommended.
Read All About It
- Bikes and Transit Travel: Hamilton South
Donald Wiedman © 2018